19 January 2009

A Sucthethfully Twisted Tongue

Six sick slick slim sycamore saplings.

When I was little, I was accursed with older siblings who enjoyed taking advantage of the ignorance associated with my "age-deficiency" and my stubborn, competitive nature. Paging through a recently acquired tongue-twister book, I was hit with a vivid memory. Well, to be truthful, only parts of it were vivid. I find that happens a lot with my memories. Sometimes I can remember every detail . . . except whether it happened to me or to my twin. Just minor technicalities like that. This particular memory has a flaw as well--I can't remember whether the antagonist was my older sister, Amber, or my older brother, Troy. Let's just compromise and say "Tramber" was the gleeful adversary.

Anyway . . .

I'm a mumbler. I admit it! Being a rambler and a mumbler is an awkward combination. It's often provoked the following question, ever since I was little: "Did you just swear?"

People have been waiting for me to trip up and become a potty-mouth from Year One, it seems. Back in grade school, I was so intent on maintaining my perfect record of no profanity that I was skeptical as to whether or not I should sing the rare occurrences of "hell" in the hymnbook. Erring on the side of caution, I refrained. Knowing this, and just unable to not tease such an obvious target, Tramber pounced.

Tramber: I heard a really hard tongue-twister the other day.
Runt Rahni: What was it?
Tramber: It's really hard, Rahni. I bet you can't say it.
RR: I can too! Tell me!
Tramber: O-kay . . . if you think you're up to it.
RR: I can do it, I know it. Please?
Tramber (sighing): All right. Say 'wash'.
RR: Wash.
Tramber: Okay, now say 'it'.
RR: It. Wash it. Wait, that wasn't a tongue twister.
Tramber: Well, you have to say the words together. Really fast.
RR complies.
Tramber (crowing): You just swore!
RR (aghast): I DID NOT! YOU TRICKED ME! THAT DIDN'T COUNT!!

Really, though, who could blame Tramber? That's a pretty fun bull's-eye to aim for. After Chandra taught me the delicate art of sarcasm, though, I had a few weapons of my own to aim at them!

Lesson: Have fun with little sisters while you can, but watch out for payback! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment