22 January 2009

Not knotting nicely

Are the fates just looking for more ways to mock me? When my Runner's World magazine arrived for January, one of the headline hooks on the cover queried, "Are you tying your shoes wrong?" Hmmmm, I thought, am I tying my shoes wrong? And, in fact, I do tie my laces incorrectly. Who knew? This could be valuable information, come my next long run. Ah, the peace of mind brought about by the security of knowing that one's laces will not fail. That, and the seconds shaved off my time due to no re-tying breaks, should definitely bring me closer to that elusive 48th place prize. (Only, of course, assuming a field of no more than 100 runners--half of which had better be lazier than me!)

I've dabbled in the world of knots in the past with sporadic results. The local Rock Gym has even certified me to hoist people 20 feet above my head! Of course, that was a few years ago, and my memory is sometimes spotty--perhaps choose someone else to partner with if you see me lurking nearby. Don't ask Amber about the time I forgot to anchor the rope, though--it's still a touchy subject. Never having been a Girl Scout (or even a Brownie), I've sought to supplement my skills by purchasing The Handbook of Knots, by Maria Costantino. The book itself is practical, colorful and straightforward. How could I not excel, given this tool? Well, forgetting to buy any rope was a key factor. But hey, I can tie one heck of an imaginary bowline! Or clove hitch. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment