Okay, just one resolution revealed (because I need your help): I resolve to add an entry to my blog at least one time a week. I was shaking my head, looking at my woeful slacking of posts, but I just couldn’t think of anything to type about. Blogger’s block. And then, come January, I suddenly couldn’t shut up! Maybe I should also resolve to comment on one blog site a week as well—who doesn’t love comments?
My history with New Year's resolutions isn't sparkling with successes, but does attest to my perseverance of goal setting. ;o) It has often occurred to me that if I, indeed, did reach all my goals, I would CERTAINLY be translated as quick as a blink. Some examples . . .
Journal writing
Who doesn't list this one every year? I flipped through an old journal to find the January entry where I had listed the goals for that year. Chief among them was the declaration that I would become a faithful journal-keeper, never missing more than one day in a row. The next entry was dated March 8th.
Memorize one poem a month
I'd always thought that I'd like to be someone who could recite poetry off the cuff, if the situation warranted. I figured that since I had once memorized 100 lines of Shakespeare walking up to campus one day from my apartment (the teacher was waiting in the HFAC to hear my recitation and I, of course, had procrastinated this particular assignment), this goal would be a snap. Memorizing the first poem so inspired me that I increased the increments from once a month to once a week! That all stopped after about three poems--just the pressure of finding a poem I liked well enough to memorize submarined me. I know this is old school, but I THINK POEMS SHOULD RHYME!!
Strengthening bonds with siblings
I determined that I would see every member of my family (in the Anchorage area) at least once a week in person, and to contact the (at the time) Fairbanks folk with a weekly phone call. I've never been so familiar with Rod, Chandra and Amber's co-workers! Of course, once Amber found out she was a "goal", she was less than impressed. "Ooo, Rahni, you can check me off now!" That waned as well--though I do still have good contact with my family. They're the first people I think of to call when I have news or a story to share.
Read the Declaration of Independence & Bill of Rights (thoughtfully) once a week
Reasoning that I should know what liberties I'm enjoying, I set out to read our founding fathers' words once a week. Do you KNOW how much time it takes to read those documents thoughtfully? I eagerly took to the task and methodically followed every amendment through all its possible teachings, applications and ramifications. Once.
Multitasking
One year I set up a schedule to maximize every moment of my days. Efficiency and improvement were my mottos. Involving balanced meals, reading scriptures while eating a nutritious breakfast, exercising twice a day, practicing piano daily, reading one Shakespeare play a month, improving weekly correspondence, all sorts of financial goals, the least of which was “know your bank account balance” since I never kept track, drinking the recommended amount of water a day, even more memorizing, preparing one church talk a week for a "just in case" file, study Dutch and/or Spanish daily, etc., etc., etc. Obviously, those goals were never reached.
And yet.
And yet, undaunted, I fling myself with glee into more endless goal-making!
Journal writing
Who doesn't list this one every year? I flipped through an old journal to find the January entry where I had listed the goals for that year. Chief among them was the declaration that I would become a faithful journal-keeper, never missing more than one day in a row. The next entry was dated March 8th.
Memorize one poem a month
I'd always thought that I'd like to be someone who could recite poetry off the cuff, if the situation warranted. I figured that since I had once memorized 100 lines of Shakespeare walking up to campus one day from my apartment (the teacher was waiting in the HFAC to hear my recitation and I, of course, had procrastinated this particular assignment), this goal would be a snap. Memorizing the first poem so inspired me that I increased the increments from once a month to once a week! That all stopped after about three poems--just the pressure of finding a poem I liked well enough to memorize submarined me. I know this is old school, but I THINK POEMS SHOULD RHYME!!
Strengthening bonds with siblings
I determined that I would see every member of my family (in the Anchorage area) at least once a week in person, and to contact the (at the time) Fairbanks folk with a weekly phone call. I've never been so familiar with Rod, Chandra and Amber's co-workers! Of course, once Amber found out she was a "goal", she was less than impressed. "Ooo, Rahni, you can check me off now!" That waned as well--though I do still have good contact with my family. They're the first people I think of to call when I have news or a story to share.
Read the Declaration of Independence & Bill of Rights (thoughtfully) once a week
Reasoning that I should know what liberties I'm enjoying, I set out to read our founding fathers' words once a week. Do you KNOW how much time it takes to read those documents thoughtfully? I eagerly took to the task and methodically followed every amendment through all its possible teachings, applications and ramifications. Once.
Multitasking
One year I set up a schedule to maximize every moment of my days. Efficiency and improvement were my mottos. Involving balanced meals, reading scriptures while eating a nutritious breakfast, exercising twice a day, practicing piano daily, reading one Shakespeare play a month, improving weekly correspondence, all sorts of financial goals, the least of which was “know your bank account balance” since I never kept track, drinking the recommended amount of water a day, even more memorizing, preparing one church talk a week for a "just in case" file, study Dutch and/or Spanish daily, etc., etc., etc. Obviously, those goals were never reached.
And yet.
And yet, undaunted, I fling myself with glee into more endless goal-making!
No comments:
Post a Comment