
This month was a slow one for books, primarily because I was spending all of my free time--at least, all of my free time in which I could hijack my considerate sister Amber's laptop as well--working on my Christmas present to Robin's family. Speaking of which, I've come to the (belated) conclusion that I don't like my voice. Unfortunate, then, my choice of gifts.
~Walden - Henry David Thoreau - (Still reading this one for Madison's Christmas book on tape. This man cracks me up. He has quite a high opinion of himself--and quite a LOW opinion of anyone older than 30 years old. Not a joy to hang around, I'm guessing.)
~The Cricket in Times Square - George Selden (Read for Kaeli's Christmas book choice. I totally forgot that there was an old Chinese man character in the tale. Boy, you have not lived until you hear me trying to stumble through a stereotypical "wise old Asian man" accent. Quite an embarrassment on my end, really.)
~The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (Grew to hate this book due to the 12 hours I spent with it. Worse than just mere accents, this book was liberally sprinkled with German. Indeed, German--a language I'm not familiar with. AT ALL. In a genius move, I didn't pre-read the book, thus I was often found stuttering over unexpected pronounciations and substitutions. Admittedly, I did not preserve the integrity of the writer's true written word--I replaced any swear words (not that there were many) with non-swear words, etc. The most memorable or obvious switch, I suppose, was when I repeatedly substituted "Jesus, Mary and Joseph" as an exclamation with "Peter, Paul and Mary." (The book was set in WWII times.) Then, of course, came the memorable message "file not found" that found ME re-recording one hour of the book with a raspy voice in the wee hours of Christmas Eve day.)
~Bunnicula - James Howe (Have to finish recording this one for Madison--something to tide her over while wading through Walden. Hey, she loves Twilight! So this vampire's a bunny. PoTAYto, poTAHto. Just as excellent as I remember!)
~Bad Kitty - Michele Jaffe (The prequel to the book I read last month. Not as entertaining a read, unfortunately.)
~The People of Sparks - Jeanne DuPrau (Books of Ember #2) (Continuing the series. May skim the third and fourth book. Not spectacular writing, but an interesting concept.)
~Walden - Henry David Thoreau - (Still reading this one for Madison's Christmas book on tape. This man cracks me up. He has quite a high opinion of himself--and quite a LOW opinion of anyone older than 30 years old. Not a joy to hang around, I'm guessing.)
~The Cricket in Times Square - George Selden (Read for Kaeli's Christmas book choice. I totally forgot that there was an old Chinese man character in the tale. Boy, you have not lived until you hear me trying to stumble through a stereotypical "wise old Asian man" accent. Quite an embarrassment on my end, really.)
~The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (Grew to hate this book due to the 12 hours I spent with it. Worse than just mere accents, this book was liberally sprinkled with German. Indeed, German--a language I'm not familiar with. AT ALL. In a genius move, I didn't pre-read the book, thus I was often found stuttering over unexpected pronounciations and substitutions. Admittedly, I did not preserve the integrity of the writer's true written word--I replaced any swear words (not that there were many) with non-swear words, etc. The most memorable or obvious switch, I suppose, was when I repeatedly substituted "Jesus, Mary and Joseph" as an exclamation with "Peter, Paul and Mary." (The book was set in WWII times.) Then, of course, came the memorable message "file not found" that found ME re-recording one hour of the book with a raspy voice in the wee hours of Christmas Eve day.)
~Bunnicula - James Howe (Have to finish recording this one for Madison--something to tide her over while wading through Walden. Hey, she loves Twilight! So this vampire's a bunny. PoTAYto, poTAHto. Just as excellent as I remember!)
~Bad Kitty - Michele Jaffe (The prequel to the book I read last month. Not as entertaining a read, unfortunately.)
~The People of Sparks - Jeanne DuPrau (Books of Ember #2) (Continuing the series. May skim the third and fourth book. Not spectacular writing, but an interesting concept.)
Did I mention before that I read to my kids at night? They all love books which is great. Isaac is turning into quite the little reader. So, the tradition is that everyone gets to pick their own book, but as they get older the books get longer...So, I've tried to find some novels that we can read instead of picture books. We tried Bunnicula. It worked good for the older two, number three wasn't so interested. Two weeks ago, we go to the library and Isaac picks out a Captain Underpants book. I reluctantly lowered my standards and read it for them...as horribly low-browed humor as I expected, "Professor Poopypants". Unfortunately, the series is a big hit and my kids roll with laughter. Maybe, next year we'll read Walden.
ReplyDelete