03 January 2009

!!!Wendy's Wroad Wrage!!!

My name is Rahni, and I am very susceptible to road rage. Oft-times, I could be considered a road-rage-aholic. Really, though, I just get mad when people don't follow the basic driving rules. Or etiquette. Or just plain common sense at the wheel.


Each day that I drive the stretch of Northern Lights Blvd. from LaTouche to the Seward Highway, I am bothered anew by the collective amnesia suffered by the Anchorage driving population. Instead of switching to four lanes at that light--as so indicated by the helpful lines on the road--drivers have followed Cosmo Kramer's lead and formed three "luxury" lanes in that area, followed by a hasty dispersal at the light back into four lanes. I often ignore the obvious paths people have carved out and follow the actual lines of the road, in hopes of reminding others of their summer memories on the particular stretch of asphalt. It's all Chandra's fault, really. She's the one that used to get ticked off about it and vent to me. Now that she's gone (from the state, that is), I feel it my duty to make sure that someone is paying attention. Yes, I am rather sanctimonious in my driving--but I'm trying to ease up! Oh, but that is just one of my driving irks.


The other day, my unfortunate nephew, Tommy, was witness to my overwhelming fixation on driving etiquette. We were stopping by the Wendy's drive-thru to indulge in some Frosties on our way home from Madison's soccer game. There is a break along the drive-thru line curb that is meant to let cars from the Fred Meyer's crowd into the parking lot. Ideally, the cars in line should keep that gap open so cars can pass through. The temptation, of course, it to bust into the line right there instead of proceding into the lot, then joining the back of the line. One obnoxious driver waited like a little vulture next to break. Well, the long and short of it is that the car ahead of it took forever to order, thus the vulture-car effectively blocked any traffic between the lots AND made me increasingly angry. I flashed my lights at them and indicated that they should continue through, so as not to cheat or block cars, but the impudent driver stoically ignored any hints or harassment. And, boy, were all the other cars upset. I can somewhat admire their resolve to stick to their (horrible) decision, but I couldn't even concentrate on Tommy's conversation because I was seething. Not quite the holiday spirit, eh?


Frequently, when I tell people about my road rage tendencies, or some situation wherein I was angry, they respond with scoffing disbelief, "You? Rahni, I totally can't picture you getting mad. No way." Which I suppose is complimentary, but I puzzle at their perspective of me. And I'm sure there's at least one person in the group who's too polite to voice the dissenting opinion, but is privately thinking, "Not me, man. Everyday I wait to see when she's going to blow her lid. Totally a 'wrage-a-holic'." In fact, when I told Chandra of this incident, and related how most people can't picture me mad, she laughed, "You? They think you don't get mad?" More laughter followed. Family knows [you] best, I guess. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment