To be honest, I was only ever able to really walk backwards on my hands. Not shocking, I suppose, especially for one whose mother reports that she didn't walk skillfully until she reached the ripe old age of 18 months. I imagine that I could at least stagger around effectively before that, but I'll have to confirm that hope and get back with you.The other night I found myself wrongly inspired while I was straightening up the Sports section in B&N--being surrounded by inspirational get-out-there-and-PLAY books can do that to you. I scanned the area: acceptable floor (if not soft, at least it was carpeted), workable clothes (kicked off the heavy Danskos, shirt was tuckable), and--best of all--no spectators (the store was closed and my co-workers, presumably, were co-working responsibly together elsewhere.) Drawing courage from the memory of the time that another B&N-er and I spun cartwheels up at the cash registers during a customer lull, I took one final look around and spent the next 120 seconds relearning what it feels like to regard the world upside down. Perhaps my Australian Uncle John would say that I'm finally seeing it right side up. ;o) And you know what? Not so comfortable. I guess it's a rite of passage of adulthood to realize that having the blood pool in your face causes discomfort. A perspective shift to process, if you will. When you're a kid, you flip upside down at any and all opportunities (during the Kool-Aid inspired zany moments, that is.) I can just imagine this milestone written in a questionnaire "Am I a Grown-Up?" Hmmm . . . I'm no longer comfortable being upside down. Check! That Lance Armstrong book will get you every time, I'm telling you! Every Second Counts, indeed.
( S M A L L ) S U M M E R G O A L S
~Master the handstand (Obviously.)
~Acquire competent juggling skills (I've been meaning to make progress in this one for years. I chase my throws and have never been brave enough to practice in front of a wall--I prefer my knuckles unbruised, unjammed and unscraped.)
~Perform a back flip on the Hutchings' trampoline (It doesn't have to be the Hutchings', but I figure that since I'll be hijacking my nieces into this one--I'll need some pointers, Kaeli, some courage and encouragement, Chelsea, and some ice cream, Madison--I'd do them a favor and pick a convenient location. That, and I'll know who to sue if it all goes wrong.)
~USE MY CUTE TENT (I've carted it around in the trunk of my car for nearly 11 months now. I'm not sure why--was I expecting an off-the-cuff camping expedition? If so, I'd probably really regret not stowing a sleeping bag as well, given Alaska's less-than-cozy night air.)
And, seriously, check out this elephant. Though I think I might have an edge on him, because that's more of a headstand, I think, than a handstand. And I can totally do a kickin' headstand.
I take that back--the elephant wins. There's no way I could do a headstand on my nose.
I can't even do a cart-wheel. Never in my life have I gotten past the really brave wind-up at the point where I am about to thrust my hands towards the ground. They never even make it. Hovever, the other day for our FHE activity Paul made me to a little squatting headstand with my elbows on my knees, you know. I was screaming the whole time that I was going to die, threats of how much work it was going to be to take care of me when I became completely paralyzed from the neck down. Turns out, not so bad after all. Except for the whole upsidedown thing.
ReplyDeleteWow, the secret life of bookstore employees... Who would've guessed? :o)
ReplyDeleteI am totally with you for an impromptu camping trip! Call me anytime after may 1st!
ReplyDelete