Today I found an old notebook halfway filled with scraps of all sorts of notes and odds and ends. It starts out with a few "101" lists. I've always loved making lists--lists of New Year's resolutions, projected (ambitious) week routines, books I own, foreign words I remember, etc.--but I went through a phase where my lists had to consist of 101 items. Well, can it be legitimately labeled a "phase" if it only lasted for three lists? My topics included:
~"101 Books I've Read"
This was harder to list than I anticipated--I had to remember which books I had actually read versus what I was supposed to have read for school. Also, I didn't allow sequels or series. Sadly, most of the time, when asked to recommend a book (people assume that I must have recommendations flying out of my ears, what with the number of books I've read and my considerable exposure to the product) I almost always go blank and can only thing of the last three books I've read.
~"101 Things I'd Like to Remember About My Married Life--Looking Back When I'm 80"
No, I'm not secretly married--just ruminating on what I thought would make a good marriage and guess what? "Gas fireplace" made the list! Odd.
~"101 Jobs"
This list made one of my managers nervous when they saw it. I only made it because I thought that if I were to ever write a book, what kind of occupations would my characters dabble in? Strangely enough, though, this last list had one extra job tallied (in a different pen and everything), so it should really be dubbed "102 Jobs."
Just for kicks, here's what the "101 Jobs" list had to say for itself:
1) bookseller 52) magazine editor
2) graphic designer 53) banker
3) photographer (portrait) 54) hairdresser
4) photographer (magazine) 55) garbage man
5) newspaper columnist 56) singer
6) copyeditor 57) construction worker
7) accountant 58) florist
8) pilot 59) welder
9) airplane mechanic 60) factory worker
10) mom 61) sports coach
11) dad 62) circus performer
12) social worker 63) professional sportsman
13) butler 64) computer programmer
14) housecleaner 65) chimney sweep
15) architect 66) rancher
16) lawyer 67) farmer
17) secretary 68) forest ranger
18) mailman 69) armed services
19) plumber 70) landlord
20) painter 71) boat captain
21) carpenter 72) railroad conductor
22) economist 73) lobbyist
23) clothes designer 74) gardener
24) car salesman 75) relief worker
25) pediatrician 76) priest/preacher
26) nurse 77) engineer
27) cafe worker 78) state trooper
28) security guard 79) consultant
29) air traffic controller 80) librarian
30) real estate agent 81) massage therapist
31) computer analyst 82) chiropractor
32) teacher 83) royalty/diplomat
33) principal 84) playwright
34) school nurse 85) marriage/family counselor
35) subsitute teacher 86) comedian
36) aerobics instructor 87) historian
37) personal trainer 88) hostage negotiator
38) pharmaceutical rep 89) detective
39) judge 90) fireman
40) correctional officer 91) EMT
41) actor 92) dancer
42) screenwriter 93) autioneer
43) novelist 94) decorator
44) chef 95) wedding/event planner
45) bartender 96) vetrinarian
46) astronaut 97) translator
47) government rep 98) inventor
48) president 99) CEO
49) foreign ambassador 100) car mechanic
50) press secretary 101) weatherman
51) advertising executive 102) risk assessor
What's so important or meaningful about "risk assessor" that I allowed my list to become untrue to its title by including it at the end? Who knows. I don't remember. Obviously, these aren't 101 jobs that I've had, nor do I wish to have many on this list, but it does make for some interesting pairings, eh? I wonder how I jumped from "bartender" to "astronaut." And, come to think of it, this was perhaps the least entertaining of the lists. I'll think about posting the other ones sometime in the future, just to bore you with more long entries. This blog wouldn't be called "r a h n i r a m b l e s" if they were all short entries, now would it? ;o) It would be a much BETTER blog if the "tab" function worked when I wanted to format lists!! Oh, well. Bygones.
~"101 Books I've Read"
This was harder to list than I anticipated--I had to remember which books I had actually read versus what I was supposed to have read for school. Also, I didn't allow sequels or series. Sadly, most of the time, when asked to recommend a book (people assume that I must have recommendations flying out of my ears, what with the number of books I've read and my considerable exposure to the product) I almost always go blank and can only thing of the last three books I've read.
~"101 Things I'd Like to Remember About My Married Life--Looking Back When I'm 80"
No, I'm not secretly married--just ruminating on what I thought would make a good marriage and guess what? "Gas fireplace" made the list! Odd.
~"101 Jobs"
This list made one of my managers nervous when they saw it. I only made it because I thought that if I were to ever write a book, what kind of occupations would my characters dabble in? Strangely enough, though, this last list had one extra job tallied (in a different pen and everything), so it should really be dubbed "102 Jobs."
Just for kicks, here's what the "101 Jobs" list had to say for itself:
1) bookseller 52) magazine editor
2) graphic designer 53) banker
3) photographer (portrait) 54) hairdresser
4) photographer (magazine) 55) garbage man
5) newspaper columnist 56) singer
6) copyeditor 57) construction worker
7) accountant 58) florist8) pilot 59) welder
9) airplane mechanic 60) factory worker
10) mom 61) sports coach
11) dad 62) circus performer
12) social worker 63) professional sportsman
13) butler 64) computer programmer
14) housecleaner 65) chimney sweep
15) architect 66) rancher
16) lawyer 67) farmer
17) secretary 68) forest ranger
18) mailman 69) armed services
19) plumber 70) landlord
20) painter 71) boat captain
21) carpenter 72) railroad conductor
22) economist 73) lobbyist
23) clothes designer 74) gardener
24) car salesman 75) relief worker
25) pediatrician 76) priest/preacher
26) nurse 77) engineer
27) cafe worker 78) state trooper
28) security guard 79) consultant
29) air traffic controller 80) librarian
30) real estate agent 81) massage therapist
31) computer analyst 82) chiropractor
32) teacher 83) royalty/diplomat
33) principal 84) playwright
34) school nurse 85) marriage/family counselor
35) subsitute teacher 86) comedian
36) aerobics instructor 87) historian
37) personal trainer 88) hostage negotiator
38) pharmaceutical rep 89) detective

39) judge 90) fireman
40) correctional officer 91) EMT
41) actor 92) dancer
42) screenwriter 93) autioneer
43) novelist 94) decorator
44) chef 95) wedding/event planner
45) bartender 96) vetrinarian
46) astronaut 97) translator
47) government rep 98) inventor
48) president 99) CEO
49) foreign ambassador 100) car mechanic
50) press secretary 101) weatherman
51) advertising executive 102) risk assessor
What's so important or meaningful about "risk assessor" that I allowed my list to become untrue to its title by including it at the end? Who knows. I don't remember. Obviously, these aren't 101 jobs that I've had, nor do I wish to have many on this list, but it does make for some interesting pairings, eh? I wonder how I jumped from "bartender" to "astronaut." And, come to think of it, this was perhaps the least entertaining of the lists. I'll think about posting the other ones sometime in the future, just to bore you with more long entries. This blog wouldn't be called "r a h n i r a m b l e s" if they were all short entries, now would it? ;o) It would be a much BETTER blog if the "tab" function worked when I wanted to format lists!! Oh, well. Bygones.
No comments:
Post a Comment