***** READ IT RIGHT NOW!
**** Would definitely pass it on to others--highly recommended
*** Better than most
** If you're stuck on a desert island and cloud-watching isn't your thing
* BURN in fire if you're stuck on a desert island (even if it's a hot, tropical island)
I've tried to insert a brief, six-word summary of the book--the intelligence of such a choice is questionable, to be sure. But you can always follow the link if you're curious as to the full summary of the title!
The First Patient - Michael Palmer *
~President being sabotaged? Doctor must discover.~
Excellent premise, good first page, horrible character interactions, plodding pace, super-obvious plot. Not a writer I'll be reading again. I would have ended my suffering much earlier, but I'm cursed with the memory of way too many unfinished books in my past to abandon yet another one.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Jeff Kinney ****

~Middle-school everyman leads life of laughs~
I hesitate to give such accolades to a graphic novel (working at a bookstore and library, I've grown to hate Graphic Novel's evil cousin, Manga--read a real book!), but this one isn't the soap opera/soft porn/manga-like moneymakers out there. For "kids" of all ages. ;o)
Life As We Knew It - Susan Pfeffer **
~Moon bumped, Earth suffers, family flails~
I read this book more as a cautionary tale of what not to do or behave like if a global catastrophy happened. Post-apocalyptic reads are always interesting, but these characters could've done with some good common sense and charity towards others. Seriously, who is starving after just two weeks of living on masses of groceries? Also, I'm rather tired of reading another obnoxious portrayal along the theme that religious people can't be rational. Goodness.
Executive Power - Vince Flynn ***1/2
~Blown cover, CIA leak, Mitch's married~
Yet another Vince Flynn--yes, you may blame this on trying to keep up with Chandra, my speed-reading sister. Another good read--not my favorite of the batch, but entertaining and action-packed.
Pretending You Care: the Retail Employee Handbook - Norman Feuti ****
~Customers can be wrong, let's discuss~
LOVED this book. If you've ever worked in retail at all, you can't help but relate to this hilarious guide of serving the public! My mom found quite a bit of humor in it as well, even having me read sections out loud to her--which is totally unprecedented, as she usually doesn't enjoy being read to.
Peter and the Starcatchers - Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson ****1/2
~Peter meets Hook, gains dubious "powers"~
Before this book, I didn't even like Peter Pan. Initially interested because of a fabulous interview I heard with the authors (check it out for free on iTunes>B&N Meet the Writers>Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson), I quickly grew to love how these two engaging authors flesh out the backstory of Peter's life--why he can fly, stay young, etc. The first book of a trilogy.
How Starbucks Saved My Life - Michael Gates Gill ****
~Executive job gone, regroups as barista~
Strangely enough, I read two books this month involving working in the service industry. One inspirational, one cynical, both drew me in and provided quality entertainment and thoughtful reflection. I thought both books were fabulous!
Einstein's Dreams - Alan Lightman ***1/2
~Imaginative dreams wherein time disobeys laws~
Very quick read, some chapters a bit repetitive, most are full of imaginatory delight! I especially liked the chapter where people determine that time passes more slowly the higher they live, so they all live in houses way way up on stilts in the freezing cold air and mock those who enjoy the grass, lakes, warm weather, etc. Fools.
The Giver - Lois Lowry ****
~Boy suffers so community won't - until . . .~
January's book club book. I forgot how much I enjoyed this tale--check out the short story by Ursula K. LeGuin "The Ones Who Walk Away From the Omelas" or Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" for more along these thought-provoking lines.
The Sorceror of the North (Ranger's Apprentice #5) - John Flanagan **1/2
~Book ends before adventure--cheap shot~
Sadly, nothing too impressive about this book, story-wise or writing-wise. Using the same ill-advised technique he implemented in his last book, Mr. Flanagan has ended this book prematurely as well. I suppose that any book that was ended before a resolution of the main conflict occurred could be called a "cliffhanger," but that doesn't mean it's a good technique.
Walden - Henry David Thoreau (still reading) (Undetermined "*" as of yet)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I'm still paging through this tome occasionally. I probably will keep this on my list of "currently reading" for a great long while yet. I keep getting distracted by faster flights of fancy!
So, I'm curious. Do you borrow most of your books form the library or do you have a vicious "spend your B&N money at the place you work" habit? I like books as much as the next guy but you sound like a serious crack addict. Buy it - use it - sell it...when does it stop? I'm going to have to read your four & five star books to see if you are a reviewer that I can trust.
ReplyDeleteOh, and do a post on your thoughts on Robert Jordan's death and the Mistborn series author, Sanderson, as the replacement.
Oooo, a request! How exciting. I've been pondering my history with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series all day now, thanks to you, Patrick. I'll post on the topic soon (I'm a slow thought-gatherer.)
ReplyDelete