--customers at the bookstore (having been there for seven years, quite a few people now recognize me)
--school kids (in a school of 2400 kids--not even counting the continuous rollover of new freshman classes and departing senior classes)
--co-workers (a fluctuating near-80 from B&N, as well as 130 from school)
--church members
--family
--family of family
--friends of family (Why do my nieces collect friends in pairs? Two Ambers, numerous Sarahs, etc., etc.)
--friends of my own collected throughout my 32 years
--random acquaintances from those years
--plus all the people out there who mistake me for my twin and just think that they know me and thus smile and wave at me . . .
WHEW. It's just a LOT of people. And, frankly, I've never been good with names. It's often pretty obvious, despite my not-so-subtle ways of covering my ignorance. In fact, I'm inclined throw a faltering, "Hello! No, no, it's so good to see you!" to anyone with a persistant smile.

Back in July, a STRANGEr approached me at the puzzles rack in Barnes & Noble while I was putting away some stray merchandise. Well, I was also casting an appraising eye over the new batch of bamboozlers for my own personal interests. I was startled from my perusal by a politely inquisitive "Are you Rahni?" in my ear. Straightening guiltily, I answered in the affirmative, expecting that perhaps one of my co-workers had sent him to me so that I might help him with a book query.
STRANGEr: Do you remember me? It's Patrick! From East!
(At least I had a name and starting place, though working at the same high school I attended as a youth caused me to wonder East now or East then?)
FakerRahni: Of course! How's it going?
(The conversation continues as I try to stay to general topics, frantically trying to glean knowledge from his answers, only to lead to this . . .)
STRANGEr(namedPatrick): . . . so then I saw you in the store and I had to say hello! (He pulls a wallet-sized photo out of his shirt pocket) Check it out!
StartledRahni: Oh! My senior photo. How . . . surprising.
(For those of you who are thinking, "Stalker! Who walks around with a senior photo from the 90's in their pocket and happens to run into the very subject of the picture? Chance? I think not." These were not my thoughts. I was merely surprised to be confronted with the least favorite of my painfully self-aware poses, and was still frantically trying to place this mysterious "Patrick". I breathed a sigh of relief when I read the inscription on the back and some memories fell into place--Orchestra, lowerclassman, short and blond. I looked at him now--tall, tanned, great smile, still blond. Good changes, overall.)
PrettyPatrick: Yeah, I'm moving to Wyoming and I have all my earthly belongings packed into my truck out there in the parking lot. I found this picture in my instrument case and just had to come in and say "hi". Just too big a coincidence. *engaging grin*
We said goodbye and good luck, and I made my way back to the receiving room to continue my shift. Always with a story on hand, I did not fail to share this gem. Unfailingly, everyone's first reaction was of eyebrow-raised stalker-esque suspicion. I guess I just didn't tell it right. AND, they didn't see him--the years were nice to young Patrick. Strange coincidence, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment