05 December 2008

~an email to my boss~

Subject: I'm thinking "no"

While the sub was a nice individual, I think perhaps next time you go with someone else? After finishing some projects, she (helpfully) asked if she could help me with anything else. I suggested that she could help me shelve. Face fallen, she asked, "Could I help you with anything else?" Which I totally understand, seeing as how she'd been staring at spine labels for quite awhile by then, but also, we are a library. Odd response. Anyhow, I looked around and suggested that she fill the empty book stands on top of the shelves with something nearby that was eye-catching. After she finished that, she gathered her stuff from the back room, settled at Nancy's Mac and was reading a book. I didn't notice until several minutes later and, when she caught me regarding her in a puzzled way, struggled to find a "we're equals" way of asking her why she wasn't still working. I finally settled on, "Are you waiting for something to do?" She didn't grab that lifeline. "Well . . . you're still here for ten minutes, right?" At her reluctant agreement, I briskly toted her up and suggested that we knock out the last few fiction books to shelve. When we finished shelving, I brightly announced that I had found a task that would only take 2 or 3 minutes to complete and wouldn't be staring at spine labels, as a bonus! I could see her eyeing the clock--it was 3:11 at that point. I somewhat diabolically figured that since she was ten minutes late to begin with, staying until her contracted time was the least she could do. So I had her scan some books into the computer as "Mark Item Used" and she was done and gone by 3:14. Once again, a very pleasant person, just baffling in the whole oh-you-wanted-me-to-work? aspect.

Poor sub, though, really. I had had mucho idiot kids who couldn't contain their cell phones, game playing or library-eating this afternoon, so I was perhaps not in the most understanding of moods.

Weekend! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment