05 December 2009

Shukran (thank you)

A teacher passing through the library the other day threw me an undeserved compliment. "It's really cool that you sign your initials in Arabic," he observed. Automatically, I replied, "Thank you." Then the text of his sentence caught up with me. Arabic? I examined my 'r' and 'j'. When penning my initials, I link them in a lowercase cursive clump with which I'm sure graphologists would have a field day. What does lowercase say about my feelings about my standing in the world, the loop in my 'r', where the dot falls for my 'j'. Actually, I really just don't like to write a capital 'R' or 'J' and have always felt somewhat prideful about my lowercase cursive 'r'. Squint as much as you like, but my writing is in no way Arabic. But I take it as a feather in my hypothetical cap--it's as close to calligraphy as I will ever be rightfully accused. Too bad, that. I wish I did have more power over my pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment