23 April 2009

Best experienced young

What have I been roped in to? This thought crossed my mind as images of disco and roller rinks assaulted my eyes. Back at BYU, my roommate, Jenny, was helping me fill in the gaps of my movie-watching repertoire by showing me a childhood favorite of hers that I had somehow missed. But not missed, I soon found out. Xanadu? Xana-don't. Unfortunately, she had the same reaction to one of my cherished indulgences, License to Drive. Puzzled, we questioned each other's lackluster response to these icons of the 80's. And came to the conclusion that SOME THINGS ARE BEST EXPERIENCED YOUNG.

Upon further rumination, here are some other candidates for the better-as-a-memory category:
Xanadu, License to Drive, The Edge Chronicles (a series that my nephew loves, but I can't work up any enthusiasm about), Fun Dips (remember those packs of sugar with a hardened sugar dipper?), swimming in murky lakes, walking down polluted creek beds, He-Man/Skeletor, side ponytails, Walk for Hope (26 miles of staggering through the city--despite not really fundraising for the event, so what's the point--with a faithful Mom meeting us to change socks, etc.), chicken pox, riding on bicycle handlebars, shoes with velcro, staying up all night, The Family Circle comic strip, filling out sweepstakes forms with any shred of deluded hope, throwing fits in public, the Gravitron ride at the carnival, paper routes, Indian-burn/pain-threshold contests, rolling down grassy hills, knock-knock jokes, etc., etc.

There's so much more, but my lunch break is over!

4 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, ha! Gosh, that list brought back a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a great list. Definitely swimming in murky lakes caught my attention as now I have ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE to do aforementioned activity while my kids can't get enough of it. I will have to say, though, that last year for our family reunion I had the opportunity to ride the scrambler at the amusement park and it was just as much fun as I remembered it, but my kids. . . not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey--side ponytails are most definitely back "in". I sported one just the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany--I amend my harsh critique of the side ponytail to refer only to HIGH side ponytails. Low ponys are acceptable and--if done right--quite cute! ;o)

    ReplyDelete